Wednesday, November 9, 2011

the tiny common things


i've been thinking a lot about the art of being happy.
trying to pay attention to the tiny common things that thump my heart. 
+++
i go through phases.
i play favorites.
i am a creature of comfort.

my current happy things:
+++

haribo happy-cola gummi's. 
a bag has happily found it's way into my grocery cart on my last few shopping trips. and it made my day when i snuck a peek into the candy shop at the mall and saw that they had a jar full waiting for me. one scoop or two? two! 

my olive manna lined stamp.
i'd been saving it in my stash. waiting for the perfect something to ink it up with. now i can't stop. letter envelopes, surprise gifts, grocery lists, book plates, treat labels. and it makes me happy every single time. can totally see the beginnings of a rubber stamp obsession.

dixon ticonderoga pencils.
the best kind. i'm sort of a snob about what i write with. writing has to feel good. a super sharp tinconderoga is my current go to. the graphite is so smooth and they're made of real wood so they feel solid. and for some reason i'm all over the 'erasing things' instead of just crossing them off. 

cloth bound penguin classics.
a new collection. a friend gifted me my first and a few months ago i finally snatched up the second on a special night out. they are so pretty. i love that starting a good collection also means that they will each have to find their way to me. i'm going to collect slowly and remember where they each came from. and read them, too! can you believe i've never read a jane austen book? gasp!


8 comments:

  1. It would be blasphemy if you own them and never read them, I mean come on!! I'm rereading Emma right now, I'll race ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda love those pretty books too

    ReplyDelete
  3. love those books. i have several of them waiting for me on my amazon wish list. right after thanksgiving, i'm going to point my husband in the amazon direction and maybe I'll get some of my wishes for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous photographs and such a gorgeous way to look at life. thank you for the reminder. enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just found your blog.... and i love it! you have a way with words and your photos are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been pining over those books for a while now. perhaps it is time to buy myself one. Just one. maybe the rest will slowly find themselves on my shelf if i start with one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love: writing has to feel good. i'm gonna put some ticonderogas in my shopping cart today.big grocery day. whole foods. you know i will find some tiny common goods today.

    ReplyDelete